NATURAL LIVING: Eczema: My Little Brothers Natural Cure!

10:54




Hey Lovelies. 

So my little brother has had eczema for a couple years now, but thankfully for him it’s pretty localized to one side of his upper arm.  And for years he would take a steroid cream when he would have a flare up and though it would help, it would only do so marginally.  So one day, I decided to go into my arsenal of natural ingredients and come up with a healthier alternative.


I first got on my computer and researched each ingredient I had and their effects on eczema and was pleasantly surprised to find that MOST of them were used to alleviate eczema symptoms.  Next I researched how the various ingredients interacted with each other.   PLEASE don’t skip this second step.  Some ingredients DO NOT interact well and might give you more problems than you already have.  After checking and crosschecking, I mixed a couple of ingredients and gave the concoction to my trusty lab-rat. 

After two days of use, his eczema had already started showing noticeable signs of improvement.  Furthermore, he happily expressed that his eczema felt significantly less dry and itchy.  Needless to say he has been using it ever since.  Which is great for me because there is nothing sweeter than having a sibling owe you.

Before I share my list of ingredients though, I just want to stress that I am not a dermatologist of any kind and while this might have worked brilliantly for my brother, I give no promises that it will work equally well for you.  If you do try it (and I do recommend that you do) make sure you do a skin test to ensure your skin won’t react to any of the ingredients.

Without further ado, here is the list of ingredients and their benefits:

1.    Shea Butter (2 tablespoons)– One of the best moisturizers out there.  And it is full vitamins (A-F and K).  Pretty much my entire family uses Shea Butter as a moisturizer.  I urge you to make sure you use 100% RAW shea butter.  In its natural state it will be pretty thick and hard, but if you pop it in a small blender, it becomes light and fluffy.  LOVE IT.

2.    Coconut Oil (1 tablespoon)– Not only is coconut oil a great moisturizer but it also has antimicrobial, antioxidant and anti-fungal properties which all help relieve itching and reduce inflammation.  I wouldn’t however be comfortable with recommending it for facial use.  It has a comodogenic rating of 4 so it might end up clogging your pores and causing acne breakouts.  No one wants that.
 
3.    Castor Oil (1.5 tablespoons) – This is another AMAZING moisturizer for dry skin.  It also has components such as ricinoleic acid, which has been proven to reduce inflammation.  Look for Jamaican Black Castor Oil.  It’s arguably the best quality and the most natural.

4.    Witch Hazel (1 teaspoon) – Witch Hazel is a well-known natural remedy for pretty much any skin irritation, be it a bug bite, cold sore, boil or infection.  This is due to its anti-inflammatory and anti-bacterial properties.  It’s also great for tightening pores so it’s awesome for your face.  I have however read that some have found it drying when used on its own so definitely make sure you use it with your choice of oils or right after a shower.  I’m also not a huge fan of the smell so I’d suggest you don’t put a huge amount.

5.    Tea Tree Oil (3 or 4 drops) – Tea Tree Oil has been used to cure skin conditions for thousands of years.  Native Aboriginal people in Australia would bathe in the water where leaves from the tea tree plant had fallen.  It’s healing powers come from its anti bacterial, anti-fungal and antiseptic properties.  It helps reduce both the itchiness and the redness.  I personally love the refreshing smell it gives the mixture. Just remember that it IS an essential oil and should be used sparingly.  Trust me, a few drops are more than enough.

6.    Aloe Vera Gel (1 tablespoon) - Aloe Vera is awesome for hydrating skin and treating infections that can aggravate eczema.  Like most of the other ingredients on this list, it’s also a great anti-inflammatory, so it helps reduce itchiness and redness.  I don’t really have any cautionary note on aloe vera, but I did try it as a face moisturizer for two days and it made my skin noticeably darker, so if you notice this, you know which ingredient you need to stop using.


So there they are.  I usually pop them all in a small blender and 20 second later it looks something like this: 




Sorry the picture is not the best.  I’ll replace it with a better one when I make the next batch.

Also note that you don’t have to use all these ingredients.  You can use as many as you have or add others that are not on this list (I’ve heard good things about almond oil and olive oil).  You can also tinker with the amounts of each ingredient until you find a consistency that works for you.

If you try it or have tried some of these ingredients for eczema, let me you’re your experience .  If you have other natural eczema cures you swear by, please pass them along in the comments section. 

Until Next Time,
Healing Big Sister

You Might Also Like

5 comments

  1. Are you selling? If you are, how can i contact you. My niece has the same problem and it's been a challenge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Joan. This is the first time I've told people about it so I definitely haven't been selling. But you can email me at peacheswithloveblog@gmail.com and I can make you some and we can agree on a price. Looking forward to hearing from you.

      Delete
  2. hi my daughter has eczema since birth she will be turning seven years this year. Initially i used a steroid and it disappeared for close to 1 years... Recently she has had a bad flare up and i don't want to use the cream again. Its really stressful for me coz her eczema is localized on her cheeks and forehead... i am using this special bath and applying natural moisturizers especially glycerine. i have seen some changes but how do i source for 100% raw shea butter?? i would like to use that also.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In my family we get our Shea butter from my sister who has it sourced from Ghana. She has it whipped so it's airy and fluffy and she puts essential oils in some so they smell nice.

      Delete
    2. You can call her at 0736674776

      Delete

SUBSCRIBE